- Your “Different Belly Rubs Brings Different Scrutiny” Tuesday Evening Open Thread – June 30, 2020
- Your MXC Monday Evening Open Thread – June 29, 2020
There’s not a lot going on today, what with #BlackoutTuesday being the prevailing social media sentiment. Many teams & players are respecting the cause.
- The most poignant quote linking everything together came from NBA legend Kareem Abdul Jabbar:
“There’s been a lot of talk of how horrible the rioting and looting is,” Abdul-Jabbar said in an interview with Scott Van Pelt on ESPN’s SportsCenter. “That is no way to demonstrate, but people should think about the fact that Colin Kaepernick tried to demonstrate peacefully. What did he get? He got ostracized and lost his job. He was blackballed. That was a peaceful protest about an issue that is very real, and no one could acknowledge that.”
In Vince McMahon football-related news:
- The XFL’s bankruptcy seems to be marching right along, as an August 3 asset-auction date has been set.
- Gronk is no longer WWE 24/7 champion.
Thankfully, R-Truth is back as champion – for the 36th time. (Don’t ask.) We no longer have the spectre of an endzone celebration turning into a title defense hanging over the season, thank goodness. That would be anarchy.
Today’s good internet dog is Phyllis, a senior rescue dog that in her mentions is clearly more NWA than Ice-T.
Breaking curfew dont tell the pigs pic.twitter.com/ejrtFOH3Ha
— marnie the dog (sister phyllis) ACAB (@MarnieTheDog) June 2, 2020
From what I gather, her owner’s previous dog was a Shih Tzu named Marnie & she passed away in March at 18 years.
Tonight’s … entertainment?:
- America in Pain: What Comes Next? – 9:00PM | ABC
- The special will take a close look at the hurt and anger sweeping the nation, the reasons behind those feelings, stories of protesters, and why this moment may be a turning point for race in America.
- Korea Baseball Organization:
- Lotte Giants at Kia Tigers – 2:00 AM | ESPN2
- Kiwoom Heroes vs. Hanwha Eagles – 5:25AM | TSN4
NBCSN also is showing Super Bowl XLIX, in case you want to see Richard Sherman make “that” face.
We got to nearly 300 comments last night without any sports. Unless you want to count the occasional “LA CAR CHASE!!11!1” interjection or video of a protester outrunning the cops as sports. At this point, I do.