Less than Elite and Wednesday Night Open Thread

Latest posts by Joliet Jake Delhomme (see all)

By Request:

Rowdy Roddy Piper:

I don’t have any great personal stories about Roddy Piper. His heyday kind of came during a low point in my wrestling fandom. I had a lapse in interest between the rise of Hulk Hogan and the beginning of the Monday Night Wars. He was one of the greatest heels and greatest talkers in the history of the industry. He wrestled on the first Wrestlemania, teaming with Paul Orndorff against Hulk Hogan and Mr. T. “Piper’s Pit” was the inspiration of many of the current wrestler-based interview segments. During one famous segment in 1984, he hit unindicted murderer Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka in the head with a coconut.

This is my favorite story. Ronda Rousey had always had the nickname “Rowdy” among her friends, from childhood. Early in her MMA career, she refused to use it professionally, because she thought it would be disrespectful to Roddy Piper. Eventually, she met him in person and he gave her permission to use the “Rowdy” nickname. When she premiered in WWE, she appeared wearing Roddy’s jacket, given to her by his son.

Notice the font on the shirt and the tartan skirt

And the best movie line ever:

Random Non-Wrestling Notes:

I spend a lot of time listening to podcasts. Back when I had a job, I would listen to them on the way to work, during work and on the way home from work. Headphones keep people from randomly trying to chat you up and will only come into your office if it is really important. Now I listen to them as I go to sleep and when I am working on the computer. I will recommend one this week that I think this group of misfits would enjoy. Go on your preferred podcast platform (I use Spotify) and search for “Crime in Sports”. “James Pietragallo & Jimmie Whisman are two comedians who take an unmerciful and hilarious look at athletes who have lost big games…with the law! Crime in Sports does the research, and finds the funny in the world of sports true crime”. While they have covered the obvious (Todd Marinovich, Oscar Pistorius, Lenny Dykstra, etc.) they also cover the obscure (Ralph “Blackie” Schwamb, Pedro “Pistola Pete” Ramos, etc.). A great listen for fans of sports and morons, which is the definition of our Venn Diagram. For every one of you who subscribe, I will receive $1.47. This is not true. Or is it? Or not? Or is it? Or not? Or is it? Or not?

On to the Brain Damage!

Now, this is all subject to change. Last week’s show got messed up with the global bastard taking out Lance Archer. WWE had to shuffle the hell out of Sunday’s Clash of Champions PPV after a global bastard outbreak at the Performance Center.

So, Brandi Rhodes has been running a YouTube series for over a year called “A Shot of Brandi”. It is a cooking/drinking show with guest wrestlers. This week, she hosted Tony Khan, the owner of AEW. They drank tequila and ate steaks together.

Yes, that is the owner of AEW. And Fulham FC. I’m going to call full “dude bro”.

Tonight’s Sprots:

• AEW Dynamite: 7:00pm TNT
  •  MLB
    • Yankees vs Indians: 6:00pm ESPN
    • Brewers vs Dodgers: 9:oopm ESPN
  • NBA
    • Heat vs Lakers: 8:00pm ABC

Let the beatings commence!

votes
Article Rating
Joliet Jake Delhomme
My wife has been told to bring my ashes to the bleachers of Wrigley Field and pour me into the ivy. The "Dying Cub Fan's Last Request". Cubs, Bears, LA Kings, Arsenal and GWS Giants fan. Active boycotter of all college sports, having sat in a classroom with a "Student-Athlete". I also watch NASCAR and golf on the weekends, because I like naps.
Notify of
262 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Moose -The End Is Well Nigh

comment image

Senor Weaselo

Aaaand exhale for a couple days. Now to get revenge on those douchebags.

Unsurprised

Yes … Yes …

Moose -The End Is Well Nigh

“WHAT??”

-Massengill

Moose -The End Is Well Nigh

comment image

Moose -The End Is Well Nigh

comment image

Senor Weaselo

That’s pretty accurate for the Mariners.

Moose -The End Is Well Nigh

Would they put him on IR?

DJ!comment image/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/300?cb=20130504210904

ballsofsteelandfury

Btw, South Park Pandemic Special is fucking classic.

Moose -The End Is Well Nigh

This is pretty interesting.

comment image

ballsofsteelandfury

It’s also extremely accurate.

Moose -The End Is Well Nigh

It is data from the last census. While not everyone is counted it certainly gives very accurate date for predominant heritage claimants.

Senor Weaselo

Gio really showing why it was a mistake to deal him. One to tie, two to win boys.

Fuck.

Senor Weaselo

Once again, goddammit Johnny Lasagna. Just awful.

Goddammit Johnny Lasagna.

SonOfSpam

In a happy bit of serendipity, I’m having lasagna for dinner.

It’s a late dinner, but it ain’t “midnight watching my team play baseball” late.

Mr. Ayo

It’s midnight somewhere though. And you are watching baseball.

SonOfSpam

(watching Lakers post-game…they won you know)

Mr. Ayo

They didn’t even win by 20 when they were up by 30? I’m smelling trouble.

Last edited 23 days ago by Mr. Ayo
SonOfSpam

Nah, that was just one of my victory farts. Sorry.

SonOfSpam

Thanks for everyone’s support while I was sweating out the close Lakers win.

You are like family, in that I haven’t seen any of you maybe ever.

Gumbygirl

Gumby told me a joke about a dwarf rapelling down the wall of a prison. I didn’t laugh, because it was a little condescending.

SonOfSpam

Goddammit.

Gumbygirl

Sorry, couldn’t be helped.

SonOfSpam

No, I’m just jealous.

Gumbygirl

I am a sucker for a pun, or any kind of play on words!

ballsofsteelandfury

You take your banner and you wear it proudly.

Damn, that was good work!

Senor Weaselo

See, if Adam Ottavino could throw a strike he’d be in here. But instead it’s Johnny Lasagna, who throws strikes. Probably. Maybe. Please?

Senor Weaselo

Shut up Buster Olney. Just shut the fuck up.

Senor Weaselo

The thing that worries me is the big guns in the pen haven’t pitched in what feels like forever. Also getting 11 outs from Britton and Chapman is a lot, even if they are super rested.

If only Adam Ottavino could throw strikes!

Recovery Whiskey

2 hr South Park in PT.

Pandemic Special

Last edited 23 days ago by Recovery Whiskey

¡Él es Gary!

Horatio Cornblower

I do not understand how anyone could sit near Cleveland’s Drum Guy and not murder him before the end of the 3rd.

Rikki-Tikki-Deadly

Just like in 2009, Lakers going to waltz to a title against a lesser seed in the finals.

But do we care?

SonOfSpam

YES WE DO, LOSER KNICKS FAN.

TheRevanchist

Haven’t cared since Shaq, the last great Laker left.

Brocky

why do I have so many gifs of dead wrestlers?
comment image

Rikki-Tikki-Deadly

Why does scotchy have so many videos of hobos getting murdered? It’s just how it is, man.

Mr. Ayo

In your defense, a lot of them are dead.

Brocky

any excuse to post this video

Horatio Cornblower

Turns out that a life revolving around long road trips, brutal working conditions, little sleep, and massive amounts of steroids and cocaine isn’t conducive to a long life.

Gumbygirl

Is that the Texas Tornado? He’s dead? I haven’t kept up with wrestling in 30 years, in my defense

Brocky

yep. better known by the name Kerry Von Erich. shot himself in 1993 I believe

Gumbygirl

My kid was still watching it then. I remember him, but not that he died.

TheRevanchist

He will always be Mr Ass to me.

Unsurprised

Unfortunately, the one who deserves to be the most is the one who will never fucking die.

Last edited 23 days ago by Unsurprised
ArmedandHammered

The Brewers uniforms make them look like Cub Scouts.

Senor Weaselo

Chad Green in Cleveland. Things unfortunately don’t change.

Mr. Ayo

Bigger fraud? Cleveland or Miami?

The Twins. As always.

18 games is a small sample size in dirt ball. lol

Last edited 23 days ago by Mr. Ayo
Mr. Ayo

Fun fact: Miami has never lost a playoff series.

Senor Weaselo

And never won a division title.

Mr. Ayo

Only Indy raises division banners. True champs raise champion banners.

Senor Weaselo

They raise finalist banners.

Mr. Ayo

I bought my parents a matching set of these

comment image

Viva La Tabula Raza

You have two moms? That’s pretty cool, actually.comment image

Last edited 23 days ago by Viva La Tabula Raza
Mr. Ayo

I’ve had three total so far. But dad is really not happy about the shirt.

Moose -The End Is Well Nigh

About 59 to go and you will be half way to Bill’s count.

Mr. Ayo

Also, makes the incest 3 ways way more fun that way.

Senor Weaselo

I’m rooting for the Marlins in the NL. I want Donnie Baseball in the World Series! (And unless playing the Yankees, I want him to get a ring.)

Viva La Tabula Raza

Depends on which sport you are talking about. NBA? NFL? MLB?

Mr. Ayo

MLB or NFL for the former, NBA for the latter.

Last edited 23 days ago by Mr. Ayo
Mr. Ayo

Update:

Cleveland is no longer a fraud.

Mr. Ayo

Update:

Cleveland is a fraud.

Mr. Ayo

Update:

Cleveland has filed an objection to the fraud label. The committee is reviewing and will have a response in the next hour.

Mr. Ayo

Update:

The committee has reached a decision. Cleveland is not a fraud.

Mr. Ayo

Update:

The committee admits its idiocy. Cleveland, as in the NFL, is the same in the MLB: total frauds and complete butt. We regret the error and will endeavor to be better going forward.

Moose -The End Is Well Nigh

comment image

Nuts on fire.

Senor Weaselo

Supermarket Sweep is back. Hell yes.

Rikki-Tikki-Deadly

“Huh. I thought Todd got fired from that gig.” – Ryan Leaf

Unsurprised

It seems the last holdouts finally gave up on banging pots at 7pm. I guess we got that whole pandemic thing licked.

Game Time Decision

Thanks for doing these. While nawt a wrestling fan, your enthusiasm for it definitely comes through and it makes these a fun read

Viva La Tabula Raza

Used for what? It’s important!

Viva La Tabula Raza

Perfect fit for me!

Sharkbait

We only accept gently used fleshlights

Brocky

I guess I should make more of an effort to check out dynamite. just dont have time for regular scheduling, and I annoyed people for years with my posts

Brocky

to add some context to this, I’m a huge wrestling fan, so I feel guilty not nurturing its growth on this site

WCS

Once again, The Simpsons predicted the future. This time, in Hardee’s form:

Unsurprised

Mmmmmm. Rich creamery butter …

Petronel

You don’t expect a guy with the size and look of the Butcher to be a joint-manipulation guy. I like that.

Fronkenshteen

FUCK YEAH URSHELA

WCS

Never stop being Cleveland, Cleveland.

GIO THE GOD!

Viva La Tabula Raza

I keep flashing on my favorite cologne when you invoke this guy’s name.comment image

Fronkenshteen

Monacle on duster lanyard? You’re goddamn right.

Unsurprised

It’s a shame no one else remembers Dr Mindbender.

Viva La Tabula Raza

Milo Minderbinder was one of my favorite characters in Catch-22.comment image

Moose -The End Is Well Nigh

That pic is pretty damn amusing.

Brocky

fun fact: butcher (guy on the right) is guitarist for every time I die

Andy-Williams-of-Every-Time-I-Die.jpg