Quick aside on the basketball hate. Basketball is the one sport I tried to play in high school. My freshman year at Brophy Prep in Phoenix, 6 ft, 145 lbs, 38 inch sleeves, small (obviously) forward. I was a 5 tool player. Couldn’t shoot, couldn’t pass, couldn’t rebound, couldn’t dribble, couldn’t play defense. I was eventually drafted by the Phoenix Suns. Played 5 seasons. Retired when the league stopped calling traveling.
We will get back to normal (?) this week. New Japan Pro Wrestling has their biggest show of the year, the first two days of the year. Search YouTube for NJPW for all of your high flying wrestling needs. AEW published a YouTube video of the “Nightmare Factory Showcase”. Cody and QT Marshal have been running a training arena in Atlanta during the shutdown called the Nightmare Factory. So they put on a showcase for the talent they have been training. When indy wrestling starts back up, the hope is that this showcase will give exposure to this new talent. While WWE reports record profits and low-balls existing talent contract offers.
Bruce Mitchell is a (formerly) well respected wrestling writer. He decided this was the perfect week to accuse AEW and Jon Huber’s widow of lying about his actual cause of death. Instead of accepting the “non-COVID related lung disease” statement from the press release, he decided that he knew more about lung disease than the Mayo Clinic that Jon spent his last days in. Thankfully, this cost him his job at PWTorch.com.
AEW Dynamite Preview:
- Kenny Omega vs. Rey Fenix for the AEW Championship.
- Hikaru Shida vs. Abadon for the AEW Women’s Championship.
- Matt Jackson, Nick Jackson, Christopher Daniels, and Frankie Kazarian vs. Max Caster, Anthony Bowens, Angelico, and Jack Evans in an eight-man tag match.
- Cody Rhodes vs. Matt Sydal.
- Jake Hager vs. Wardlow.
- Jon Moxley returns.
- Chris Jericho on color commentary.
- Snoop Dogg appears.
So, Snoop Dogg. If you have been watching the TNT show, you know that Stardust, Ahsoka Tano, Martha Stewart’s sidepiece and that country music chick who abandoned her bandmates as soon as she got famous are resurrecting one of the most boring TV show concepts ever. Shida vs Abadon has been built up very well over the last few weeks. Happy to see a good monster vs monster (Hager/Wardlow) match.
Brain Damage Sports:
- AEW Dynamite: 9:00pm, TNT
- WWE NXT: 9:00pm, USA
- Boston Celtics at Miami Heat: 5:45pm, ESPN
- Los Angeles Clippers at Golden State Warriors: 8:05pm, ESPN
- Arkansas at Tennessee: 5:00pm, ESPN2
- Georgetown at Butler: 5:00pm, FS1
- Oklahoma at Baylor: 7:00pm, ESPN2
- Seton Hall at Creighton: 7:00pm, FS1
Let the beatings commence.