Less Than Elite and Wednesday Night Open Thread

Latest posts by Joliet Jake Delhomme (see all)

Okay, let’s try to get back to normal (?). Data research from Wikipedia.

My home wrestling promotion when I was a kid was the AWA out of Minneapolis. By the time I started watching, it was fully owned and booked by Verne Gagne.

Wrestling Territories before VKM screwed them all

That is one handsome 60’s wrestler

Verne had one blind spot. One that would eventually lead to the end of the AWA. He was known as a technical wrestler. Mat wrestling, hold-to-hold. I’m not sure if both of his feet ever left the ground at the same time in the ring. These were the wrestlers that he promoted. Unfortunately, it also lead to him promoting his son Greg as well. That nepotism did not play well with the boys. Until Vince Jr started paying them.

What is funny about this is he discovered many flamboyant wrestlers, who then moved on when Verne refused to push them, continuing to push wrestlers like him. Wrestlers like Nick Bockwinkel.

Yep. Nick Bockwinkel.

The most famous failure in this area being Hulk Hogan (that may be an article by itself). But it also included wrestlers like Adrian Adonis, Ken Patera, Jim Brunzell, David Schultz, Wendi Richter and Jesse Ventura. He also lost broadcast talent like “Mean Gene” Okerlund and Bobby “The Brain” Heenan. Despite falling behind the WWF and NWA as a major promotion throughout 1986 and 1987, Gagne still managed to find and/or develop legitimate young talent like Scott Hall (known as Razor Ramon in the WWF and himself in WCW), The Midnight Rockers (Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty), “Bull Power” Leon White (later known as Big Van Vader), The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobs and Jerry Sags), and Madusa Miceli during that timeframe.

The only wrestler on this list you want to see a picture of

This Week Tonight:

Well, I can’t find a good Women’s Title Eliminator bracket picture so here we go. Thunder Rosa advanced last week over Leyla Hirsch. They originally broke the brackets between US and Japan because of the severe restrictions on traveling from the US to Japan. Only the winner of the Japan bracket will need to travel to the US. The first round of the Japanese bracket competed on Monday. The referee sprayed the wrestlers’ hands and boots with sanitizer. He also wore gloves, mask and a face shield. The ring is, at best, 12×12. Japanese women’s wrestling is very odd. If you want to watch, check the AEW YouTube channel.

*Yuka Sakazaki-Mei Suruga

Mei Suruga
Your winner, Yuka Sakazaki

*Veny-Emi Sakura

Veny is the Nyla Rose of Japanese Women’s Wrestling
Your winner, Emi Sakura

*Maki Itoh-Ryo Mizunami

Maki Itoh
Your winner, Ryo Mizunami

*Aja Kong-Rin Kadokura

Rin Kadokura
Your winner, Aja Kong

Tonight’s Show:

Tonight’s match comes from the US side of the bracket. Serena Deeb vs Riho. Why is Riho on the US side of the bracket? Because she is currently stuck in the US.

* Young Bucks (c) vs. Santana & Ortiz (AEW Tag Titles)
* Matt and Mike Sydal vs. FTR
* Hangman Page & Matt Hardy & Private Party vs. Hybrid-2 & Chaos Project
* Serena Deeb vs. Riho (AEW Women’s Title Eliminator Tournament)
* Sting Calls out Team Taz

Serena Deeb
Riho

Tonight’s Sprots:

Okay, trigger warning. TVGuide.com seems to have their time zones screwed up. All these times may be very wrong for DFO (US Central) Time. Adjust your drinking accordingly.

Brain Damage Sports

• South Florida at UCF – 5:00pm, ESPNU
  • Marquette at Butler – 4:30pm, FS1
  • DePaul at Seton Hall – 6:30pm, FS1
  • Hot TBA on TBA action – 7:00pm, ESPNU

Tennis?

• Australian Open, Women’s Semifinals – 8:00, ESPN2

Let the beatings commence!

5 4 votes
Article Rating
Joliet Jake Delhomme
My wife has been told to bring my ashes to the bleachers of Wrigley Field and pour me into the ivy. Cubs, Bears, LA Kings, Arsenal and GWS Giants fan. Active boycotter of all college sports, having sat in a classroom with a "Student-Athlete". I also watch NASCAR and golf on the weekends, because I like naps.
Notify of
179 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Rikki-Tikki-Deadly

‘Tis morning. And as the old Churchill story goes, I am now sober, and Rush Limbaugh is still dead.

Viva La Tabula Raza

And done. See y’all tomorrow.
Radar shows we’re getting pounded with snow, but not seeing it out the window. WTF

Last edited 8 days ago by Viva La Tabula Raza
Beerguyrob

Adios. If you can, head to Mexico with Ted Cruz – that’s the patriotic thing to do.

bk109

Bury Ted Cruz In Mexico, that’s the patriotic/right thing to do

^FTFY

Also g’day y’all

Viva La Tabula Raza

Just now saw an ad for psychics (“California Psychics”) for the first time in decades. The same question still comes to mind: since they’re psychic, do they already know I am not going to call?

Gumbygirl

You’ll be proud to know Ted Cruz is ready to fix shit in Texas. He’s ON IT. It’s gonna be ok now!
(He was on the 4:30 flight to Cancun with his family.)

clint greasewood
Viva La Tabula Raza

I hope there’s a 1970s flashback and his plane gets highjacked to Cuba.

Viva La Tabula Raza

Pretty lively here tonight. I’m probably still gonna overindulge and pass out before y’all are done.

Mr. Ayo

Challenge accepted!

*heads to freezer*

Viva La Tabula Raza

Glad to see the competitive spirit is alive and well on this sports site.

Viva La Tabula Raza

My across-the-street neighbor kept his Trump Pence 2020 banners up until just after noon on January 20. Now he has the US flag flying upside down above the Pile of Dogshit on yellow field Gadsden flag. He leaves it up 24 hours a day and it is not illuminated at night. Fucking traitor, disrespecting the US Flag Code.

Last edited 9 days ago by Viva La Tabula Raza
Senor Weaselo

At least he has it above the Gadsden flag, I was expecting that second and the aforementioned banners up top. And then the upside-down flag third.

Viva La Tabula Raza

He had a Gonzales flag (“Come and Take It”) before he replaced it with the angry snek flag on January 20th.

Viva La Tabula Raza

Big snow moving in from the NW. Really weird: thunder and lightning accompanies.

Dunstan

Thunderbolts and lightning? Very very frightening!

Viva La Tabula Raza

Currently too drunk to do thecomment image

Gumbygirl

I read your update below, glad you and your fam are ok. I watched a few minutes of a presser with your guv, someone should take his evil ass out in the snow and dump him out of his chair and leave him out there tonight. Bootstraps, motherfucker!

Viva La Tabula Raza

Motherfucker got millions in settlement when someone’s tree fell on him and has been working hammer and tongs on tort reform ever since so no one else can do so. Fuck Governor Abattoir HARD!

Last edited 9 days ago by Viva La Tabula Raza
Rikki-Tikki-Deadly

HAHAHAHA BURN IN HELL RUSH FUCK OFF YOU DEAD PILE OF SHIT!

[downs a shot of Jack Daniels]

Viva La Tabula Raza

Hope his Hell is like a Hieronymus Bosch or Pieter Bruegel painting.

Rikki-Tikki-Deadly

I was thinking a John Singleton film would do nicely.

Viva La Tabula Raza

I’m sure that c*nt McNaughton is in his studio right now working on a vomit-worthy tribute.

Last edited 9 days ago by Viva La Tabula Raza

Or a Spike Lee joint.

Rikki-Tikki-Deadly

Rush Limbaugh is only going to die one time in my life (God forbid) and I am not going to let this night go to waste. More whiskey!

Horatio Cornblower

I’ve moved from good bourbon to getting rid of the nippers that we have in the house for reasons I don’t understand

litre_cola

Been doing the same lately.

Horatio Cornblower

Bailey’s Chocolate Cherry was not as good as I’d hoped. Sickeningly sweet. Just too much.

Good thing there’s some vodka in there, that oughta do it.

litre_cola

I like it in my coffee.

Viva La Tabula Raza

As I mentioned below, the only really sad thing is that it happened 30 years too late. The same routine question, “if you could go back in time and kill Hitler, would you?” needs to be asked about this individual.

Dunstan

I think it’s time for a cigar.

“You know…” – Monica Lewinsky

Dunstan

“Now THAT’s grounds for impeachment.” — Rush’s rotting corpse

Viva La Tabula Raza

Line to piss on Limbaugh’s grave forms to the left.comment image

ArmedandHammered

Is scheduling for fecal deposits still to be decided? Do we have to bring our own toilet paper or will commemorative rolls be handed out that have his face printed on them?

Dunstan

I’ll be throwing rolls of toilet paper out, Trump-style.

ArmedandHammered

Maybe with an Exlax stand at the end of the lime to give it time to work?

Dunstan

I think we can count on yeah right to provide lots of refried beans

Viva La Tabula Raza

I’ll be hanging out at the gravesite next time i have to take the pre-colonoscopy laxative. 45 minutes after drinking that stuff and your asshole becomes Krakatoa.

Last edited 9 days ago by Viva La Tabula Raza
Viva La Tabula Raza

Cheap scratchy store brand or luxurious Charmin Ultra?

Dunstan

Oh, the Trump-style only refers to the throwing. No cheap stuff for the asses of those serving such a noble cause

ArmedandHammered

This Utah St vs. Boise St game was on my TV for a bit until one of the announcers got excited and started sounding like Dickie V huffing helium. I need to go listen to Morgan Freeman narrate something.

Col. Duke LaCross

Not surprising.

E86DA01F-3E8C-4D27-8A05-7FC9AE9E9BC8.jpeg
ArmedandHammered

What 8s their criteria, alcohol consumption per capita or number of people killed or injured by drunk people?

Dunstan

Britt Reid trying to pull up KC’s stats on the latter category

Horatio Cornblower

Good luck with that: we already know he can’t pull over for shit.

Viva La Tabula Raza

Sent that image to a buddy of mine that lives halfway between Milwaukee and Madison. His response: “And you thought I lived here because of the weather. The little pubs in these towns are fantastic, no food just drinks. More pubs per capita than any other state!”

I guess there’s something to be said for civic pride.

rockingdog

Thats ROCKING!

gooooo Padres
*really hope the team doesn’t regret this

Mr. Ayo

He’s 22 years old. They’ll make that back before he’s 30.

Horatio Cornblower

They’ll make it back on merchandise before he’s 28.

Viva La Tabula Raza

T-Shirt pitch: “Bodacious Tatis!!!”

Mr. Ayo

“Check out the Tatis on these Padres”

Hmm, that might be too niche.

append this:
“—Altar Boys”
and it’s winning all the way down.

Mr. Ayo

Someone needs to tell Osaka that the match has started.

Someone did.

litre_cola

This is going to be over quick.

Mr. Ayo

That’s what she said.

Beerguyrob

Solid headbutt. No Owens on McMahon, but still pretty good.

Dunstan

This may appall RTD (I think it was him who complained of having too much kale), but I’m enjoying a big kale salad right now. A rare vegetarian meal for me.

Rikki-Tikki-Deadly

Yeah, it was me. I don’t mind other people liking kale! I’m happy about it because it means I can give mine to them.

Dunstan

Olive oil is kale’s friend. Let it marinate, or saute.

Mr. Ayo

^^^ BIG KALE plant.

Wake up sheeple.

Viva La Tabula Raza

I thought kale grew on trees, like cashew nuts.

Beerguyrob

Roger Sterling is a great business partner.

Beerguyrob

A lot of banner worthy comments tonight.

Mr. Ayo

Even in death he’s made my life worse.

Although I’m happy for the other banner worthy commenters.

Beerguyrob

Accurate. They can both stay in Florida.

2A575F91-0712-4EBE-9DF4-8DD86CC74577.jpeg
herodotus450

comment image

Beerguyrob

Not many convicted drug abusers get lauded by conservative media after they die.

Child abusers, either. IOKIYAR

Last edited 9 days ago by Viva La Tabula Raza
litre_cola

Anyone watch Lupin on netflix?

Rikki-Tikki-Deadly

We’ve been talking about it. Should we?

litre_cola

Watched the 1st 2 episodes today. Plan on watching a couple more tomorrow. Better in subtitles than the dubbing.

I liked it so far.

Rikki-Tikki-Deadly

I didn’t realize that dubbing was still a thing that happened outside of anime.

Viva La Tabula Raza

Re:dubbing, see attached clip. If you’re impatient, FF to 2:18. Saw this at a midnight movie back in the late 70s.

Senor Weaselo

I’d like to, I’ve heard really good things about it, and considering in Senorita Weaselo’s basement apartment one of us will be playing the Lupin-inspired Persona game and sequel from now until (lessee, I’m only there every weekend, and I’m about a quarter in, plus Strikers, plus Royal, plus NG+s…) 2024 or so, I think that’s enough a reason.

Beerguyrob

Surprised she’d even risk exposure by going to the arena.

Beerguyrob

It’d be terrible if people found out where Rush Limbaugh was buried & gave his grave the Art Modell treatment.

Just terrible.

clint greasewood

comment image
comment image?w=640

BrettFavresColonoscopy

How the fuck is it only Wednesday

Beerguyrob

Because 2021 still exists in 2020s shadow.

Viva La Tabula Raza

Standing on the shoulders of one giantly fucked up year.

litre_cola

So, it’s snowing in Saudi. Climate change isn’t a thing.

ballsofsteelandfury

Why did all the girls I’m attracted to on the Japan bracket lose?

Mr. Ayo

1) Get out of my head
2) I was here first!

ArmedandHammered

Every Godzilla movie has him winning in the end and you could not see that coming?

Viva La Tabula Raza

There’s a BOC tune for every occasion.

Beerguyrob

Did Tebow retire tonight because he wanted to be the Michael Jackson to Rush Limbaugh’s Farrah?

Senor Weaselo

So… NHL next?

Sharkbait

Is he a right handed defenseman?

Senor Weaselo

I mean we know he can’t score, so he’d fit right in.

Horatio Cornblower

Horatio, are you enjoying that delicious 3 fingers of Basil Hayden’s just a little more than usual, knowing that Rush Limbaugh will never again taste the sweet nectar that is bourbon, or anything else, because he’s dead?

Yes I am, Other Horatio, yes I am.
comment image

Rikki-Tikki-Deadly

I presume Lana’s giant sausage fingers were used to make the measurement.

litre_cola

I really need to rewatch that.

Horatio Cornblower

comment image

Beerguyrob

They do seem to be stuck in a holding pattern.

rockingdog
Rikki-Tikki-Deadly

New Line Cinema is said to be working on an Anton Chigurh origin story.

Horatio Cornblower

That’s a simply terrible idea.

Rikki-Tikki-Deadly

I’m kidding. I’m presuming the original tweet was a reference to the Cruella trailer that came out this morning (people were describing it as “Disney’s Joker”).

Horatio Cornblower

The sad thing is that I legitimately couldn’t tell.

Sharkbait

If Rush Limbaugh was so against gender neutral bathrooms, why is his grave going to be one?

Redshirt

“Wanna have sex?”
“Sorry, I’m not gay.”
“It will be on Limbaugh’s grave.”
“Let’s do this, but no eye contact or cuddling.”

SonOfSpam

One party should be an underage Dominican boy, just to keep it approps.