Oh, hi there. As you’ve likely noted, BrewHombreRoy is off looking for clues in a series of brutal hobo murders. For those of you that don’t know me, I’m BrettFavresColonoscopy, I lackadaisically write the DFO mailbag, and I’m filling in just for tonight. I insert a lot of extraneous links into my posts, so if you’re bored, click through. If you’re not, what are you doing here?
It’s hard to keep track of what day it is this time of year. Yesterday was a holiday. Today wasn’t. Neither was the day before yesterday. Tomorrow isn’t either. Somehow, this whole week is a work week except for Wednesday, and yet no one is really working no matter what. That includes NFL gameday action, which is absent tonight and will re-commence on Saturday with the Wildcard round on the way to the inevitable disappointment that is another Patriots Super Bowl.
But we don’t need to talk about the road to LIIV tonight, we can see what else is on in the world of sports (all times listed in DFO time, which is central for those of you just coming out of hibernation)–
- TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl — Boston College vs Cincinnati
- Nope, shit that already happened today
- TaxSlayer Gator Bowl — Indiana vs Tennessee, 6pm, ESPN
- Yeah, that should still be going on now
- (Almost CFB): Under Armour All-America (High School Football) Game, 6pm, ESPN2
- St. Louis Blues at Colorado Avalanche, 8:30pm, NBC Sports Network
- Philadelphia Flyers at Vegas Golden Knights, 9pm, NBCS Philadelphia and something called ESPN+
- Golden State Warriors at Minnesota Timberwolves, 7pm, NBA TV
- Detroit Pistons at L.A. Clippers, 9:30pm, NBA TV
Golf? Ok, Golf:
- Béisbol Liga Mexicana del Pacifico, 7:30pm, ESPN Deportes
I think that’s it.
The sports world has some stuff going on but is really like the rest of us in that we’re going through the motions until the new year starts in earnest and we wistfully remember the days of writing checks and putting the wrong year on there until like March. Yesterday, Lady BFC and I spent New Year’s Day sleeping, lounging, and watching the new John Mulaney Netflix thing.
— john mulaney out of context (@nocontxtmulaney) December 9, 2019
Not that, but I do enjoy both that particular comedy special and that novelty twitter account. The new special is called John Mulaney and the Sack Lunch Bunch and it was…weird? Good? A mix of funny, bizarre, touching, and dumb? Take away the pants and that’s a pretty good sum up of the DFO crew.
As was noted a bit in some of the New Year’s Eve-adjacent open threads, the DFO crew here remains one of the needed bright spots in a dark time. I come to bury 2019, not to praise it. Sometimes shit with the incompetent kakistocrat in the White House and his enablers up and down the GOP makes it hard to just enjoy life and move forward, but when we completely tune out and say “fuck it, this is just politics and it doesn’t really impact me,” we’re letting those assholes win and ruin America (or the UK or Australia depending on which country is being ruined in your backyard). So I’ve been trying to strike a balance between not letting it consume me–breathing exercises, yoga, beer, cooking, whatever–and doing something about it–engaging the few seemingly persuadable people I know, donating to causes and candidates who will stand up for democracy and the planet, etc. This is a big fucking year, and I know everyone gets sick of “this is the biggest election of our lifetime,” but…this is the biggest fucking election of our lifetime. Let’s make it fucking worth it by not letting ignorant and hateful idiots win.
Anyway, feel free to discuss how 2020 is going for you so far in the comments…or just re-watch Idiocracy and liveblog it below. May the year 2020 deliver us from this hellscape where that movie is a damn documentary.
- Drunken Ramblings of a Jew on Christmas / Christmas Eve into Christmas Morning Open Thread - December 24, 2020
- Your “Who’s That Mysterious Figure?” Sunday Night Football Open Thread - November 29, 2020
- There’s Got To Be A Pony In There Somewhere - November 25, 2020